Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nostalgic!

Not a day has passed by without me thinking back fondly of Chennai. What is it about that place that I miss so much? Ah, everything! I wonder at times, if me having to miss a place is because of the intrinsic qualities that make that place truly unique or is it because of my familarity associated with it that makes it my comfort zone? Is Chennai so special to me because I was born there and lived there for there for the most of my 21 years or it truly does have distinguishing qualities? Would I have felt the same fondness for Abu Dhabi had I been born and brought up here?

There is a certain proportion of adaptiveness and adventure-seeking spirit that each one of us have. There are some who love having constant change. These are mostly extroverts who feed on a dynamic lifestyle and fast paced flow of things in life. They embrace the world for all the fun it offers - they want it all - the glitz, glamour , lights and music. Yet, the other kind want to take a more introspective approach. Yes, we love fun too... but you cant rush us moving from one party to another in an hour and meeting 100 new people all of a sudden. I would feel drained!

Yet, I do not think this is the reason here or this theory has anything to do with my question. For, I have been here in this place for 4 years already and that is quite a long time to have gotten used to a place. I AM familar with it. Yet, I loathe it. Why?

I dont like the look-alike cloned versions of skyscrapers everywhere. I dont like being shut up in the 14th floor of a centralized air conditioned appartment. I dont like seeing more cars than people on the road. I hate seeing sophistication everywhere, with everyone acting groomed and wealthy. I dont like waking up in the morning seeing the whole world around me walking seriously with a purpose like they are out to conquer wall street. I hate having to dress up appropriate whenever I step out. I hate the fact that I dont hear any human voices outside my house but cars. I hate the fact the traffic is so orderly and perfect.I hate seeing every street and plot perfectly sized to the same dimensions. I feel I am in a museum or some robotized perfection induced mankind. Oh! I feel so out of touch with "life","humanity",and "masses". I feel ungrounded!

I miss the tiny imperfections that makes us human. I miss the aaya
who thew the milk packet on the front steps of my house in chennai. I miss hearing the people walking and the sound of cycles in the early morning. I miss watching my neighbours kids fight ( Here, you have no clue even who your neighbour is!! ... and the other side of the road seems miles away) I miss seeing the school children walk in groups in my lane. I miss the stray dogs, cows and all the crows. Lol. Oh god... i feel sooo nostalgic! :(:(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DREAMS

How nice it would be if it was possible to live life the way we want it. I have often experienced the nostalgia when I first moved to Chennai after spending 18 years in Hyderabad. Though these places are just separated by a few hundred miles, there is an ocean of difference in the culture, mindsets, customs which made me feel out of place and an absolute stranger. I still loathe a lot of things which I have to put up with and do in the various walks of life, just not to be an outcast.

It all seems so strange and silly when looked at from a higher plane. hypocrisy, cheating, imitation and monotony have all seeped so deep through our blood that we have all forgotten what accomplishment and happiness really mean and most importantly how giving and helping others can make a difference to us from the within.

I wonder looking at people pace up in the rat race without a clue of where they want to get at the end of it all. The satisfaction of spending time at a lonely place, on the rocks off the shore of the sea or a lake can only be valued by experience. How I wish there were only more places to do so.

Sindu said...

@Anonymous: Your words seem to be inspired by really strong emotions. I especially liked it when you said "I wonder looking at people pace up in the rat race without a clue of where they want to get at the end of it all."

It would definitely be wonderful if we could have the perfect job at the perfect place with the perfect people around. Yet, survival seems to dictate circumstances another way. Something or the other got to be compromised at the end I guess...

abhster said...

true . chennai seems so far away from abu dhabi . Even though , I find the crowd and T Nagar shopping a bit depressing , it is undeniable that the beach is lovely because it isnt taken up as private property like the corniche beaches in abu dhabi ( curse hilton and le meridien )

abhster said...

true . chennai seems so far away from abu dhabi . Even though , I find the crowd and T Nagar shopping a bit depressing , it is undeniable that the beach is lovely because it isnt taken up as private property like the corniche beaches in abu dhabi ( curse hilton and le meridien )

Sindu said...

@abhster: I swear...everything here seems so private...as for the crowd and T.nagar..oh , you have no idea how close to human kind they make me feel!! :)

anitha said...

The pain of separation from your loved one ,though you know that ur the inseparable two, is the worst misery one could ever experience.
Thats exzctly how I feel right now and Chennai is definitely my first love :)

Fly over opp. to savera .. Beasy beach.. Satyam Cinemas.. Chit Chat.. 525 bus to Sriperumbattur.. road side shops that sell tender coconut.. parotta shops .. Scooty pep .. Sindu.. Miss them all :(