Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 1

20 hours into the fast. . .

I had my last meal at 4 PM yesterday. It is not a wise decision to binge and gorge yourself on the last meal, as though you are stocking supplies to last for a long time.  No disturbing hunger sensations. Feeling weak and enervated. Just feel like lying down and taking a doze. Yet, got classes till two. In fact, I think I am thinking of staying back till 4.30 so as to atleast cross the 25 hour mark.
Aww ... so famished and unwilling to convince myself to think of anything.

The first day is usually both a boon and bane. Good in some ways because physically, the troubles are few and easily manageable. It is also a problematic area because you are very restless towards the end of this day - since you are unable to think clearly, you are easily susceptible to thoughts that tempt you to quit. And you mostly do, not because it was unbearable but due to distractive nature of contradicting thoughts. Which is why, it is a good idea to engage yourself as much as possible and keep yourself busy on this day.

The nature of my observations is of course not applicable to everyone since body types vary from person to person. If you have a ravenous metabolism, and have never been on a complete water-fast before, be prepared for a horrific first day.

7 comments:

abhster said...

I'd say more of a bane because getting up early after 2 days late night work and waking up early in the morning is extremely difficult . Then you've got the bullies , cronies , pressure from supervisors to teachers which is unbearable .

amudhan said...

Hmm... so, you are trying it... Good... but please don't over do it. Engaging yourself in some activity is the best way to forget hunger. I use to play games for hours and will never feel hungry... once the game is over, suddenly I will be starving. I have noted this many many times.

BTW, can we have any liquid food (I mean, juices... not alcoholic drinks ;) ) or just plain water? If fresh juices are permitted, I can also try :)

abhster said...

Try this ( it always works for me ) : set a race like 15 books in 27 and a half minutes , and you'll forget your hunger in the race against time and if you succeed , congratulate yourself and take a refreshing drink of aloe vera ( which is quite energizing ). NOTE : dont try too hard . Rest is a weapon and you need it . Or you could just get someone to help you out . Its what I would do .

Sindu said...

@amudhan: You got to try Juice fasting for 2 days. Then you will join my club of fasting fanatics.

abhster said...

I think you're over doing it, and experimenting on yourself isnt a very good idea . Try this if you are fasting :- add dates to milk in the morning and come home and eat the dates and drink the milk in the evening . Its quite refreshing and energizing

Sindu said...

@ Abhster: Dates and Milk! :P

mr.weirdo!! said...

that method @abhster mentioned is wat mughal rulers do when they r in war or on a expedition into the desert - if no milk then just dates