Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Experiments with self - I

You are engrossed in a movie at the theatre. You are at the edge of your chair overwhelmed with enticing suspense; Will the hero finally get to propose his love? Will the damsel accept? Alas, you are saved before you could have slid off the seat by bold letters flashing on the screen I-N-T-E-R-M-I-S-S-I-O-N. Phew! Who would have thought that almost two hours could have ended so soon? So what now? Time for popcorn! Reach for your wallet and head stright to the counter only to be back with two extra-large cups of butter popcorn with coke (thaagam adicha enna panradhu??)

Friends are over at your place. Hot topics and steamy conversations impending. Yet something is missing...oh yes, lets get the packet of chips. That completes the equation.

:) . This post is no lecture on healthy eating or junk-food culture. It is more of breaking some deep-  rooted strong ( STRONG) habitual conditionings of the mind. Eating when bored, eating when tired, eating when happy, eating because it is dinner time, eating when you see the chaat-shop, eating because it is interval-time at the movies, eating because you were offered food... guilty?

What happens if you skip a meal? Many will never be able to answer this question... because..they dont know! They have never skipped a meal. (Such 'unthinkable brutalities' are researved for the less-fortunate poor of Africa.) Yet, as their 'scientific minds' has to have an explanation for everything, they would say, faint/die/lose brain power/become lunatics. Yes, I sure would get interesting answers. It is sad that most of us will never know what real hunger is. They simply cannot bear the stomach being a bit light (forget empty) and with a strong sense of duty, immediately fulfil the mission of stuffing it.

So, what is wrong? Come on Sinduja... why do you have to analyze and theorize about everything?  Stop thinking and enjoy life ( Why not celebrate at pizza hut? ;) ) Yes, I have had my (more than agreeable)share of enjoyment - of fun, frolic, lights, dance, music and food. I have tasted, and often gorged, on most of the things that grows, walks and swims. I loved them, no doubt. Yet, now, I ask myself, did I really need it all?

6 comments:

amudhan said...

Hey... it is not acceptable... I am serious... You are just writing about the topics which I have in mind :( and to tell you the truth, this is exactly what the nature of my next post in mind. I was waiting for 10 days gap to write this (as I prefer to give at least 10 to 15 days gap between each post).

But luckily, your mind-reading capacity is not 100% working :). I had a similar thought, but a different content. I think you are putting the pressure on me to write everything I have in mind in one stretch... instead of waiting and writing...

I advice you in words and you advice me with your deeds :). Anyhow, I will try to forget that I have read this post and write what I had wanted to write.

It is so true that eating whatever, whenever, however, wherever, whichever, (whyever) has become the unwritten law for people and it is so pathetic... Something has to be done... this should be taught to children... they have to grow with these lessons. You can't ask adults to change their habit.

Still, I am feeling sad that my next post would seem to have been stolen from this one :( :).

Sindu said...

Hahaha... come on... really? This synchnorization of thought waves between us is really getting weird :D. And I am glad that I am taking the lead ;) Yes... you better start writing right when you get the idea in mind else there might be some copyright issues :P

amudhan said...

It is unbelievable and dramatic even for me, but sadly it is very true. Anyhow, I will write whatever I wanted to write in the exact same way I wanted to write. What else I can do ;)

Let me try to take a lead in at least one topic, and I can guess what you will write next ;) so, I will write about that first then about this one...

abhster said...

There might be copyright issues , by the writer's hand ( style of writing ) is seen in every post . I suppose this applies to music too ( listen to music when bored , listen to music when happy , listen to music when sad ). Its wierd how human beings do when they feel different emotions but it differs from person to person. I listen to music when I am tense but the next person might prefer a bar of chocolate . Conclusion : A very succesful experiment .

Sindu said...

Hmmm... actually you struck a chord there. Yet, I think fewer people would agree with me if I said misuse of music too is not quite right. Perhaps I could tackle it in another post.

gHiLLi said...

well sinduja....i would love to answer your question....skipping a meal?? its kind of fun to do that....I always wanted to try it...and when i got a chance...i did it....at first it was hard....I often used to criticise people having food in front of me when i was keeping myself away from food....now after reading your article....i realise that i have been eating only once a day for the past couple of years....so...if you want you can put me in the category you have referred to (less fortunate) or may be in any scientific explanation....but eating once a day started of other chain of events...such as going vegetarian, surviving on "milk" diet, and other crazy stuffs.....i can confirm one thing...everything works....finally i would....do what you feel like and what makes you happy....in the end you got to enjoy yourself...