Monday, March 1, 2010

From the grapevine...

I am not perhaps perfect teacher material. Yet, I love the times when I get an examination invigilation in a GIRLS class. It is like a dream come true for me. I specifically mentioned 'Girls' because in the other case, you better go prepared with a carton of energy drinks. You have to be sharper and smarter than Sherlock Holmes and quicker to move than Super sony. A single second of attention deficit and you can be sure that a dozen answers have been passed around. Yet, with the girls, everyone is quiet, serious and you really neednt bother to sharpen your senses other than to walk around to hand sheets.  (Ah! Complete silence is a real hard-found treasure in a school). Such an atmosphere is a natural stimulant to launch me into my thought world. I would start pondering, reminiscing, dreaming... in short, a very smooth long stay in my world in the head... stays that I would pay any price to catch hold of. In between these trances, I would get a sudden urge to write down something - some fascinating thought that would probably escape if not caught and written right then. I previously got an idea to carry a pocket jotter.. yet to remind myself to carry that was in itself an impossible task. So, these days, I start scribbling on my hand. This works in another way, since students think that I am secretly noting down the miscreants' names. And so, would go on... a quiet escape from reality and a messed up palm.

 With the small kids, it is a different story. I would lose track of time having been caught up in observing these children still filled with innocence and who have no inhibitions or ego to act the way they want to..not the way they got habitually and instructionally programmed to act. How many would have had the opportunity to spend loads of time surrounded by 40 young children? I am glad I did. The reason probably why we get so carried away in watching babies or children or animals is perhaps they reflect an empty unfilled mind and their actions are so genuine and natural.

Anyways, here is one conversation between 4 seven-year old boys I happened to overhear today:

Boy 1: No man... I am not a nerd... I dont study much!
Boy 2: You study a lot.. I know.
Boy 3: Heyyy... see.. a nerd is not some one who studies a lot but someone who likes to study a lot!
(Boys 1 and 2 probably dint grasp what he said and give a blank stare at each other)
Boy 4: Heyyy... you know who nerds are.. you know those people who do MBA and BA... they are nerds! ya! They have this thick books ( keeps palms apart to signify the thickness)

 I was seriously very amused hearing this conversation. For one thing, I had no idea what MBA was (or for that matter, what nerd was) when I was in 4th grade. Secondly, it was a bit disappointing to see the peer pressure to not be a 'nerd' start building up so young.

Are we losing innocence earlier by the day?

14 comments:

mr.weirdo!! said...

you are worried about Boy 4 but am amused at boy 2 :) he is able to define and compare things ... i cant give that definition if some1 asks me even now :P ... but i can see he is defending himself by trying to implant in their mind something which he does. he is preparing them so that when they find about him some other day they will not look at him in the same perspective as they did for Boy1

Sindu said...

True, true.. I was astonished too. N u r right! absolutely! When I asked him if he was a nerd, he said he dint 'like' to study a lot :D

mr.weirdo!! said...

its always overwhelming to analyse ppl's characters and their reactions :) cant it be called a profession and we be paid money for that widout having an office and a name board saying am a psychologist? :P

CHIBI said...

I guess you have a very innocent girls class. when i was in school, my class girls used to be equally good in malpractices like the guys..! that was way back in 90's.. so we still have innocence..

also, those guys are yet to realize the fact that geeks n nerds rule the world..!

Sindu said...

Really... ohh! As for geeks n nerds ruling the world.. hmm... I dont know about that. Some of them do really need to chillax a bit. At the end of the day, I think people who rule the world are those who can really 'think' for themselves.

abhster said...

Kids are losing their innocence because of the people they hang out with . I lost my innocence when I used to hang it with bad company ( about 16 months ago ) but I got it back when I abandoned my old friend and got new friends . Not only have students lost their innocence but teachers have lost their trust in us . Wherever they look , they seem to be soooo much wrong-doing you'd think they were having hallucinations . My invigilator yelled at me just because I was smiling ( out of relief on finding out that the exam papers wasnt as tough as I imagined ) .

Its sad - both the cases - . Loss of innocence and loss of trust is one of the saddest things that can happen .

abhster said...

@Chibi : Geeks do rule the world ,but you can find that the most successful ( in terms of pay ) are people who take arts , sports , and literature are perhaps the most successful ( writers , sportsmen , and actors ) . I am a semi-nerd and I admit ( though I am not exactly pleased with who I am ) . I am not a entire nerd because I find the text-book quite dry and daunting and are perhaps the best anaesthetic . I perhaps am too lazy and I dont want a 100 % grades ( I was and still am conten with 93 % ) . People who're nerds have a better chance of achieving victory in the world but there are other people who are perhaps richer and more happier than them .

@sindu : you should've become a psychiatrist . It would suit you 'cause you have the charm which soothes people and you understand people and you can see through most of them like they're glass . You'd do well in that field .

Sindu said...

@abhster: loss of innocence and subsequent loss of trust.. yes, true. Psychitrist? ... hmmm.. must have been better than Engg. though anyday.

CHIBI said...

@abhster :get your facts right buddy.. paywise, top ten richest.. no where do u find artsy or sports ppl.. ppl in arts, movies or sports are paid by rich nerds n geeks.! even cameron's Avatar, wudn't have earned so much wit our gates or jobs !

hey.. nothing wrong in being a nerd.. nerd is someone who's insanely involved in any activity or habit.. it doesnt limit to studying or scoring high marks.. if crazy interested in soccer, ur a soccer nerd thats all.. sachin's a cricket nerd.
nerds win no matter wat..! am just sayin..!

nerd ain't cool for people who can't be nerds..!

Sindu said...

@Chibi: Your angle to how a nerd could be defined is interesting indeed!

mr.weirdo!! said...

i second it :)

abhster said...

@chibi : Thats true , but its said that nerds never have much fun . I'm an ex-nerd myself and when I used to be one , all I used to do was worry about next thursday's geography test , or next tuesday's math test . Dude , take life easy and chill ...... relax . Your facts are accurate , but nerds are too busy making money to enjoy it . Being a nerd is a good thing , but it ruins your childhood as you never try to have fun , and your always worrying about stuff . Most of my friends are nerds and I know a couple of people who're worried about board exams . We've got 2 years of quarterlies , half-yearlies , and finals before boards and I didnt even start thinking about exams until the first one ( which was moral education ) got over .

faris said...

i liked the sentence sayin dat u have to be like sherlock holmes wen sittin in a boys class.its true.

abhster said...

If you do happen to get a boys' class invigilation , then please take 6 cans of redbull for 2 hours . It'll help a lot .