Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Parasite


Sometime back, for quite awhile,
it took little to bring a smile
a wayside praise, an off-beat joke,
small victories and playful pokes

Long rides and good eats,
graceful castles and surprise meets
that was all it took to keep track
to sleep happy and never look back

yet with time came the learning
to dream big and change the world
to make a difference midst shifting sands
a bag full of uncharted journeys
planned for still unborn lands

The 'What' that lay in full view
knocks the door loudly for its life long due
the 'Why' and 'How' will follow much later
The wait that proceeds in vain
presents fears aplenty to cater

I fear success that will never be seen while I live
I fear people who would never turn up with love to give
I fear thoughts that will never see the light of the day
I fear ideas that will never live to have their say
I fear pride that might never be reserved for me
I fear plans that might never materialize as planned to be
I fear the past that might never steer clear to show the way
I fear the future that might never go past being grey
I fear times when I will never be somebody before I die
I fear friends who will rule the roost while I sit and cry
I fear the work that will never change people's minds
I fear the inputs that will never outlive its kinds
I fear the contributions that will never be made to this world
I fear opportunities that might never come past where they hide curled
I fear the gratitude that will never reach the ears
I fear the day when I will at once face all my fears.

Strip me of my fears,
they make me realize misery
Strip me of my dreams
They make me realize fears.

Strip me of talent
for they make me realize dreams
and dear God, finally don't forget
to strip me of thoughts
for they talk to me of talents, dreams, fears and miseries
and they talk incessantly!

Dear God,
Please just let me be,
If happiness is a simply a state of mind,
do give it to me.

Or wait, perhaps I am simply one stop
before when light will be seen
It is never too early to give up
for, between failure and victory,
there is just a thin sheen

perhaps every great action
is preceded by unrest
and no good work was ever put in
without the pressure to do the best

or perhaps this is just the black hole
an insatiable void that will never fill
the dark flame
that will only slowly kill

as the dream gets bigger by the day
and a hope continues posing as promise
the parasite continues to feed on the thought train
sucking life from within, unwilling to give up
till the last drop is its to drain.

(I will always have great respect for poets - they weave music with words and that, trust me, requires deep emotions. It is a chaotic storm within to add beauty to experience that goes down into the penning of a poem. I am no poet. Yet, had the good chance to encounter that storm again, after eight long years! Cheers!)

6 comments:

Srinidhi said...

as the dream gets bigger by the day
and a hope continues posing as promise
the parasite continues to feed on the thought train
sucking life from within, unwilling to give up
till the last drop is its to drain.


You always touch my heart and soul. This is a beautiful example of why I come back her everytime. You are as genuine as I need. Thanks for this poem. If i remember correctly, I first said on your post, out loud how much I wish I was chasing my dreams. I am now. :) I am moving jobs in a month. :)
Just want you to know. :)

CHIBI said...

well written poem and I liked the title a lot, interesting one. the 16 fears listed are the highlights, brilliant.

your poem has a catchy tune to it too.. if only i could sing.. i'd have made a song out of it.

karthick r said...

Well! My pick.

"Strip me of my fears,
they make me realize misery
Strip me of my dreams
They make me realize fears."

Content wise this post made a lot of sense. Someone who is waging a war within. You might wanna work on the format :) just a thought.

My hunch says, a few more of this and you will make it big.

~ cheers.!

Arumugam said...

You really are multifaceted:-)

I respect poets too.I really admire people who can distill their experiences into the orderly cadence of meter and rhyme,something which my brain finds quite formidable:-)

Sinduja said...

@Srinidhi : I have told you before and I will tell you again - your feedback make my day!

@Chibi: Catchy tune? Really? :)Wow, I never thought of that.

@Karthick : Yeah, long way to go to get it near a good frame and style. Ah, Piscean hunch - I totally respect and trust it...so yeay! I will try my best! :)

@Arumugam: True. I think it requires some amount of peace and calm within amidst all the chaos and intensity to have the patience to do something like that!

The Visitor said...

*clap clap clap*

Stormy emotions stirred by conflicting thoughts
Expressed simply with words so apt.

Wishing that the poet in you surfaces more often.

-V